Monday, August 16, 2010

Vosges Truffles Escape to DC: Part 2

When I opened the box of Vosges Aztec Collection Truffles again, I had two more creations to sample. After the delightful flavor and texture of the two Mexican vanilla truffles, I was eager to check out what else was in the box. I started with what sounded like another sweet creation, the Dulce de Leche.

That wonderful milk chocolate sits on the outside, topped with cashews.

The Argentinean dulce de leche inside is the perfect texture: neither chewy nor runny. I could go for something a little saltier, but the dark chocolate ganache that tops it prevents the sweetness from overpowering the creation. While the dulce de leche is amazing, I do have to say that the cashews to little besides visually distinguish this truffles from the others.

The last truffle to sample was the Red Fire, which looks spicy from the outside thanks to the ancho chilie and Ceylon cinnamon sprinkled on it.

That’s one fiery-looking chocolate, and I was a little scared that I wouldn’t be able to handle it.

Fortunately, I found that while this truffle has quite a kick to it, the intensity seems to come from the cinnamon more than the chilie. The spiciness is most apparent from the particles on the outer shell, and the ganache inside is very creamy for a dark chocolate ganache. The spices work nicely without being overpowering, but I enjoyed the Dulce de Leche more.

Summary

Vosges Aztec Truffles: After a slightly disappointing experience with the box from Teuscher, I may have found a new place to call my second-favorite chocolate shop (with La Maison du Chocolat being first…for now).

Dulce de Leche: Wonderful dulce de leche texture and flavor. Probably my favorite from the collection.

Red Fire: Spicy while still letting the chocolate shine through. This takes culinary genius.

0 comments:

Post a Comment