Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Buttercream Experimentation: Dark Chocolate

In yesterday’s post, I described the semi-successful buttercream experiment that resulted in a recipe best reserved for DC’s cooler days. I tried to repeat this experiment, but with a chocolate ganache base instead. My hope was that the chocolate might firm up the frosting a bit. For the ganache, I used El Rey 61% cocoa Mijao chocolate, along with heavy whipping cream.

If you did a full batch of buttercream using this recipe, you would heat a cup of cream and 12 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate over low heat to make the ganache.

After heating the ganache and letting it cool, I always like to fluff it up a bit.

Now it was time to pull out the fancy-pants meringue-based buttercream.

I blended it with the whipped ganache, and still found a delicious icing that simply wouldn’t do on a typical August day in DC.

This is even after adding the emergency cup of powdered sugar. Again, back to the kitchen, but I at least came away with a great recipe for a fluffy frosting for a cake come fall. Perhaps this would go well on a spicy pumpkin cake. Summertime cupcakes, not so much.

Time to go back to the tried-and-true buttercream recipe. I have a mini-cupcake project to tackle, and the clock is ticking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment