Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pineapple and Chocolate: Marriage by Cookie, Take 1

A couple of weeks ago, I was contemplating some wonderful dark chocolate covered dried pineapple treats I’d indulged in years ago. I considered tempering some chocolate and making my own, but started wondering if there was a more creative take on this treat. Cookies, of course, were the obvious solution.

I decided to try a dark chocolate cookie dough with chopped dried pineapple, and also decided to re-try an adaptation of Nick Malgieri’s Chocolate Fudge cookie recipe. However, I decided on a few changes this time around, besides the obvious need to fully chill the dough.

  • Take out the white chocolate.
  • Add some bits of dried pineapple.
  • Use unsweetened chocolate instead of bittersweet to avoid a too-sweet cookie.
  • Add more salt to compliment the intense sweetness of the dried pineapple.

I only made a half batch because I was plotting another cookie recipe, but if you made a full batch, here is what the recipe would look like

Ingredients

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

5 ounces unsweetened chocolate (Scharffen Berger 99% cacao)

8 tablespoons butter

4 eggs

1 cup dark brown sugar

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt*

2 teaspoons vanilla*

12 ounces chopped dried pineapple*

*Changes from Malgieri's recipe. Added vanilla and chopped dried pineapple, increased the salt.

The Scharffen Berger 99% cacao unsweetened chocolate is key. Look at how beautiful that box is.

And look at how beautiful that chocolate is.

For making the dough, used the same approach as I did in this post, up through folding in the flour. Then I added in the chopped dried pineapple.

This time, I let the dough chill overnight before I rolled out the cookies for baking.

These guys went into the oven at 350 for 12 minutes, and came out looking great this time.

I suppose the lesson here is that if a recipe calls for chilling the dough, patience is key.

The final cookies were pretty good. It seems like they need a little bit more of a salty bite because the pineapple is so sweet. We'll see if tomorrow's cookie creation is more popular.

0 comments:

Post a Comment