Thursday, February 10, 2011

Vosges Bars: Calindia

Moving right along in this series on “what to buy a chocolate lover for Valentine’s Day,” I’ve got something intriguing for you that might be just right for somebody with adventurous tastes. Something from Vosges.

These are, after all, the folks who mix curry and chocolate. And use bee pollen in their caramels. They think different. They really do. So if you are looking for an intriguing flavor combination for your chocolate-loving Valentine, do check out some of my reviews of Vosges chocolates. Including this one of the Calindia bar, which features Indian green cardamom, California walnuts, and dried plums, all wrapped in a base of 65% cocoa Venezuelan dark chocolate.

Upon unwrapping the bar, the cardamom gives off a very strong aroma, to the point that one doesn’t smell the chocolate at all.

The cardamom is also the dominant taste in this bar, and while I’m personally not much of a cardamom fan, if you are looking for somebody who is, this bar might be for them. Do also consider a few other things about this bar, though. The walnuts are barely detectable, but at least do not detract from the experience like the dried plums, which were far too tough and stuck to my teeth so much that I was barely able to think about the chocolate.

While this isn’t one of my favorite Vosges bars, do consider it for a serious cardamom lover. Who doesn’t mind having dried plums stuck in their teeth.

Do you like cardamom? Have you ever had it with chocolate?

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a cardamom fan either.....interesting combo for the chocolate bar, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know what cardamom is! I've heard of it (Indian spice?) but couldn't tell you if I like it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't been able to part with $7 for a chocolate bar, but maybe I'll treat myself to one for Schmalentine's. Or maybe I'll buy a few of the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ADORE cardamon, and have had it in a couple of chocolates (I also add it to my smoothies, my oatmeal, my brownies...) I remember liking this bar when I tried it years ago, although I didn't think the plums or walnuts came through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @fitchocoholic Vosges is certainly innovative. Have to give them credit for going out on a limb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin It's an Indian spice - you've probably had it with other spices in Indian food. I can deal with a little bit, but not as a dominant flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jessica @ bake me away! At my local Whole Foods, they have been on "sale" for $6 each :). The little ones are great if you want to try something really out there - like the Naga Bar with CURRY in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Hannah The cardamom definitely covered the taste of the plums and walnuts (and chocolate - gasp!). And the plums stuck to my teeth. Gross!

    ReplyDelete