Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Teuscher Boston: Dark Chocolate Bar with Roasted Almonds

I haven’t talked about Teuscher chocolates yet this month.

I suppose it is, after all, February 1.

Details.

So let’s have a little conversation about one of their less-than-complex creations: A Dark Chocolate Bar with Roasted Almonds.

The bar offers eight individual portions of chocolate, each with an individual almond in the center. Constructing this bar must take serious attention to detail. However, there wasn’t a very strong aroma, so I had to eat it to learn more.

The chocolate is quite creamy for a dark chocolate, and the texture is very, very smooth. The taste of the chocolate is not very bitter, and features vanilla undertones. Though the almonds are crunchy, I personally prefer a better distribution of nuts throughout a chocolate. That being said, the chocolate adheres to the almonds quite nicely, and flaking is not an issue as it often is for similar bars. Even though this bar was nice, I’m not sure it makes my list of Teuscher favorites.

It’s no champagne truffle, after all.

Do you prefer whole or chopped nuts in chocolate bars?

13 comments:

  1. I love the look of this chocolate bar and I quite like the idea of the whole almond. Although you know I wouldn't mind if the almond was distributed throughout either... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whole nuts, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I a horrible person for preferring my chocolate without nuts entirely? I mean, I'll definitely eat chocolate with nuts, but I prefer it without. With the exception of chocolate almonds, to which I am addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chopped chopped chopped. I actually really dislike whole nuts, because then it feels to me like I'm eating nuts, then chocolate, then nuts, instead of an integrated flavour treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been invited to a chocolate and wine tasting. What chocolate can I bring that will blow people away? Oh wise chocolate guru!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @theordinarycook It's a tough call. If going for whole nuts, I'd rather just eat chocolate covered almonds and make it about the nut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Alina Nothing wrong with enjoying chocolate and nuts separately. I say it's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Hannah YES. That's exactly what I like in my chocolate. All together. Nice and uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @foodjunk Go check out your local Whole Foods - I suggest Scharffen Berger 70% cacao, or anything by Vosges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where do you keep finding these great looking chocolate bars? My town does not carry too much variety :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Beaglebea I actually can't get Teuscher in DC - I do my research before I travel for work (which is a frequent occurrence) and see what I can pick up while there. This bar came from Boston.

    ReplyDelete