Friday, February 25, 2011

Star Wars Cookies: I'm One Cool Sister

My brother’s birthday is today. Happy birthday, Doug!

Since he’s a big Star Wars fan, I bought him BOTH sets of the recently-released Williams Sonoma Star Wars cookie cutters.

Am I or am I not the best sister ever? But a really, really great sister would make cookies with those cookie cutters, too.

I’m a really, really great sister.

For the Darth Vader Cookies, I made Brownie Roll-Out Cookies.

I again used Gail’s “Between the Sheets” method to roll unchilled dough and subsequently freeze it. I cut out the cookies, and then kept the frozen until JUST before baking at 350° F for 15 minutes.

But why? To keep the shape of Vader’s beautiful face.

The other thing I did that I believe was important to my ultimate success in this project was humming the Imperial March during the entire process.

What? I live by myself. I have to take advantage of the perks.

Now onto the storm trooper cookies.

Since storm troopers are white, I needed a suitable white cookie. A non-chocolate cookie. I settled on Julie’s recipe for Maple Sugar Cookies.

I followed the same process as with the Vader cookies – keeping the cookies frozen until just before I put them in the oven.

Is that a formidable looking group or what?

The cookies have successfully arrived at my brother’s place in Cincinnati, and I trust that some of them have successfully been eaten.

Have you seen the Star Wars cookie cutters? Do you think you'll get them?

18 comments:

  1. Love it! And yes, you are one cool sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great present! You are an awesome sister! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great, but now I've got the imperial march stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I have seen those cookie cutters and while I approve, I will probably not drop the bucks to get them. They're neat, but I'm typically too lazy to do a lot of dough rolling; I'm more of a drop-cookie kind of gal except on holidays. Not that I wouldn't accept the cutters if someone bought them for me. :D

    Awesome present, though! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! I want these cookie cutters.

    I totally met the guy I'm dating at a Star Wars convention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! What a great sister!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are awesome!! And they look so perfect too. I'm hooked for life on that tip and actually just shared a link to it with another blogger who had cookie rolling woes. Thanks for sharing it in the first place! And no, I wouldn't buy these, but I'm not into Star Wars. Now if they were Doctor Who... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say I might be the only one that has not seen any of the Star Wars movies. I need to get on that. First the movies - then these fabulous cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe, these are awesome, you are a great sister ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday Doug! You really are an awesome sister :) There's no way I'd buy those cookie cutter, I must admit. Disney cookie cutters maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, these look awesome. And delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh these are amazing!!! I love goofy cookie cutters and my boyfriend loves Star Wars... I might have to look into these :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Mary at n00bcakes Me too, but the between the sheets technique really helps. And seriously, storm trooper cookies? Worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Jessica @ bake me away! That tip is the only reason I'm willing to make cutout cookies. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @oliepants I actually haven't seen any of them either - my brother is the huuuuuuuuge fan.

    ReplyDelete