Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Indulgence Chocolatiers: 41% Cocoa Milk Chocolate with Sea Salt

Chocolate and salt. It’s not an intuitive combination for some people. But think about it. People love chocolate and peanut butter. Chocolate covered pretzels. The list goes on.

It’s really the salt that makes it. So when I was in Milwaukee and spied some locally-made chocolate from Indulgence Chocolatiers, I was sure to select one of their sea salt bars: the Milk Chocolate with Sea Salt bar, which utilizes a 41% cocoa milk chocolate as its base.

The bar comes double-wrapped, with a tissue wrapping to protect it inside the cardboard packaging, which is already quite substantial. This chocolate is packaged to get where it’s going in great shape.

The milk chocolate base doesn’t give off much of an aroma, nor are any intricate chocolate flavors immediately evident.

That’s because of the strong influence of the salt, which is very coarse, to the point that it comes through in the texture with a bit of added crunch. Since the chocolate is quite smooth, this crunch is a nice contrast, and as it is sweet as well, the salt and sugar play well together. Though the salt slightly overwhelms any subtleties of the chocolate flavor, it is so high quality that the overall creation is one that is easy to enjoy.

Perhaps too easy.

If you like salt with chocolate, do you prefer it fine or coarse?

12 comments:

  1. Oh this choc bar looks like a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dark chocolate bar with sea salt in my freezer now. I prefer it frozen. And just yesterday I made dark chocolate dipped clementines with sea salt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I don't think I have a fine/coarse preference. It probably depends a bit on the strength/complexity of the chocolate, and what the chocolate won't be overwhelmed by?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe we're on the same chocolate and sea salt kick lately! I prefer coarse salt for the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting because I rarely salt my food, but love when it's paired with chocolate. I think I prefer coarse because it provides a better contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had salted chocolate before, though once I started baking more seriously I saw people doing it all over the place. I thought it was supposed to be for a simple contrast of flavors...it seems a little odd that there's so much in this bar as to give it an actual crunch. O.o

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Amy at TheSceneFromMe Clementines+chocolate+salt sounds incredible. I bet you don't have any left :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Hannah I agree with "it depends" as well. Or, perhaps "let me try it both ways and I'll tell you which I prefer while devouring both bars."

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic It's a hard habit to break out of. Not that I'd want to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jessica @ bake me away! The crunch of coarse sea salt, especially in a really soft bar, is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Mary at n00bcakes I guess it's a matter of the effect you're going for. I made some chocolate shortbread with very coarse salt that made the salt flavor a little more intense. It's not for everybody, though.

    ReplyDelete