Monday, February 21, 2011

Artisan Confections Caramel Hearts: Because It's OK to Eat Valentine's Chocolate Late

I have a fun fact for you: kids forget things. Often.

What does that have to do with chocolate? Well, one of my swimmers very kindly got me a box of caramel-filled hearts from Artisan Confections, which is based in nearby Arlington, VA.

And she even did this well in advance of Valentine’s Day! So why didn’t I include this in my review of chocolates to consider stocking up on for Valentine’s Day? Well, you see, buying and delivering are two separate processes. And practice is hectic. So I wound up ACTUALLY receiving these later last week.

It’s cool. You can give me chocolate anytime. Especially from Artisan Confections, which I enjoyed the last time I was given a gift of their chocolates. How did these caramels measure up?

The dominant aroma was coffee, with a fruity undertone. The shell is quite thin, features a smooth, bittersweet chocolate with little added sugar, and offers coffee and earthy notes.

The caramel inside is just a tad liquid for my personal tastes, but is substantial enough to not result in an uncontrolled mess. The taste of the caramel is a perfect combination of sweet and salty, and blends well with the chocolate shell from a flavor perspective, as the bittersweet chocolate matches well with the sugar in the caramel. There is a bit of crumbling, but it’s not severe enough to make this impossible to bite into. I certainly enjoyed this treat, and need to get myself over to Artisan Confections to procure more caramels.

Soon.

Do you think it’s OK to eat heart-shaped candy after Valentine’s Day?

11 comments:

  1. Those look so good! I'll have to try something from Artisan Chocolates soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look awesome!
    In my opinion, chocolate is chocolate....you can eat it anytime! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious!! I think it's perfectly okay to eat heart-shaped chocolates whenever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes!

    I intend to do the same (eat heart shaped chocolates this week... or next week). :)

    I certainly didn't feel guilty for eating Christmas-themed chocolate in May :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jessica They are sold at Biagio. I highly recommend the caramels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Alina @ Duty Free Foodie I think I will make something heart-shaped in, say, August just to eat it then. Because.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ana Amen. No guilt, regardless of the shape of your chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely okay to eat candy past its intended or actual delivery date. If I find chocolate anywhere in my house, as long as it's still in its original packaging, I will eat it. Om nom nom.

    Also, I really like the way that chocolate looks. It's a beautiful color...almost shimmery? Am I making that up in my brain, or is there glitter in that chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos! And hurrah for a truffle that lives up to its aesthetic promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mary at n00bcakes I think it's luster dust - which you can pick up at most cooking supply stores (Sur la Table carries it). Looks great on frosting, too.

    ReplyDelete