Monday, February 7, 2011

Hotel Chocolat Praline Selection: Brownie Praline

It’s Valentine’s season. People buy chocolate this time of year. How do you know if you’re getting the good stuff for your sweetheart?

Come here and research, of course. Check out what Teuscher, Chocolate Moderne, Vosges, and the like offer. I’ve got even more reviews coming this week, so keep on reading. For the next couple of days, I have a real treat for you: a review of the Hotel Chocolat praline assortment. I’m personally a fan of praline creations, with their nutty, sugary, chocolate centers oozing with delicious and comforting flavors, and given the quality I’d found from plain Hotel Chocolat milk chocolate, I was very eager to dive in to this assortment.

The first one I tried was the “Brownie” praline, which is surrounded by a firm milk chocolate with a nutty, creamy flavor that lingers long after a bite is complete.

I won’t lie: after I bit in, I was just a little disappointed to discover that this was not a chocolate-covered brownie.

Instead, inside, I found flecks of crumbled chocolate cookie mixed in with the praline filling. While the flecks of chocolate cookie add some crunch and additional chocolate flavor, the praline filling is just a bit too soft to stand up to the thick outer shell. Given that I thoroughly enjoyed the soft, creamy filling, I’d prefer a creation with a thinner shell that would give way to that praline filling a bit better. This creation was was about 25-30% filling, and I’d enjoy it more if it were 50% filling.

Or 100%. But whatever.

It was perfectly tasty, and the crumbled chocolate cookie is a wonderful addition. I’d simply like the structure a little different. This would not stop me from eating more of these, and in fact, I now regret not picking up the six-pack of the brownie pralines on my visit to the shop.

Next time.

Which sounds better to you: this praline or a chocolate-covered brownie?

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I thought it was going to be brownie inside with praline on top too! Hotel Chocolat copped out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I had a serious browning craving this weekend (thanks to Starbucks for taking care of it without me having to bake a whole batch!)I would have been disappointed too. I used to say that homemade chocolate chip cookies were my favorite dessert, but I think brownies have taken over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds good! I think I'd eat it, but a chocolate-covered brownie is also sounding pretty tasty right about now! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. chocolate covered brownie but the praline sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, it looks like that praline has a little pat of butter on it. I assume that's just some decorative white chocolate? This sounds pretty darn good...an actual chocolate-covered brownie would probably be too rich for me. (but I would totally eat it armed with some milk)

    ReplyDelete
  6. chocolate covered brownie definitely. hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, chocolate covered brownie, no doubt

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Hannah They really did, didn't they? But they could still make chocolate covered brownies TOO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @got2run4me I saw a blog post that combines both here http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2011/01/chocolate-chip-cookie-brownies/

    Enjoy :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. @fitchocoholic I think they both sound delicious, but you all are making me want to whip up my own chocolate covered brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @thehealthyapron I think a chocolate covered brownie, especially if very small like a truffle, would be so delightful as a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jessica @ bake me away! Yep, it was just some white chocolate. This, you wouldn't need milk for, it wasn't all that rich.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @NYgirl@heart Man, I'm really hearing that I need to make chocolate covered brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Beaglebea Golly gee - another vote for chocolate covered brownies. I believe the people have spoken.

    ReplyDelete