Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Teuscher Boston: Dark Chocolate Bar with Pink Peppercorns

Teuscher does an outstanding job with the texture of their dark chocolate, so when I saw that the dark chocolate was the base for one of their bars with an intriguing flavor – pink pepper – I had to try it.

The texture of the dark chocolate, with 50% cocoa solids, did not disappoint with its signature smooth texture that borders on buttery. Even with the rather large pink peppercorns scattered throughout the bar, there’s no crumbling of the bar at all, and it is very easy to bite into.

Thanks to those large peppercorns, the taste of this bar is entirely dominated by the pepper flavor. The peppercorns are quite spicy, and it’s difficult to tease out any chocolate-specific flavors. It’s also not quite sweet enough to carry the spice of the peppercorns well. Although I love the concept and the ingredients are all top notch, I’ll probably go for the plain dark chocolate bar instead next time.

Have you had chocolate with pepper in it? What brand?

6 comments:

  1. Huh. Never even heard of chocolate with pepper. I might not be brave enough to try that one out! =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried a few chocolate with pink peppercorn bars (Dagoba I think comes to mind, and a few more obscure-r chocolatiers) and I must admit I still prefer chilli to pepper. Though sometimes, if the chocolate is dark but sweet enough, the aromatics of pepper work well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a new idea to me! I've never had chocolate with pepper in it, but would definitely try it...especially if the peppercorns were pink :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @fitchocoholic It's worth trying - if you really like pepper and the ingredients are high quality, it can be quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Hannah Here is my thinking: chili goes with dark chocolate. Pepper, with white or milk. You need more sugar to balance it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @baking.serendipity I think pepper in chocolate is going to be like salt in chocolate in a few years - soon, you'll see it on grocery shelves. It is a neat flavor contrast!

    ReplyDelete