Friday, February 11, 2011

Vosges Bars: Mo's Bacon Milk Chocolate

Still undecided on what to get a chocolate connoisseur for Valentine’s Day? Honestly, there are so many options, but you’d best get cracking if you want to get chocolate from a maker like Vosges that might require shipping.

Really. Do it. Today. Time waits for no man or woman.

If you do decide to go with Vosges for your Valentine, you might be drawn to one of their signature product lines: chocolate and bacon. They have bars, as well as a pancake mix, that feature this now-famous combination.

It’s famous. But is it good? I know I had to find out for myself, so I tested out the Mo’s Milk Chocolate Bacon Bar, which features applewood smoked bacon and alderwood smoked salt in a bar of 45% cocoa deep milk chocolate.

Given the fact that I enjoy chocolate and salt together, I was intrigued and had high expectations. Especially after I was drawn back to days of childhood camping trips with the aroma, which reminded me of the smell of bacon over a campfire in the morning.

Sadly, the bacon itself just doesn’t work very well with the milk chocolate. The bits of bacon are a bit sticky and aren’t well-dried enough to blend well with the chocolate. As with the plums in the Calindia bar, they stuck to my teeth, and I found this quite distracting. I also found the salt to be a tad too smoky for my own tastes, though the salt contrasts nicely with the fairly sweet chocolate. It’s very difficult to taste many complexities in the chocolate, given the strong smoky flavor, but the texture is smooth and the melt is good, so I do believe it is high-quality chocolate.

Though I personally wouldn’t get this bar again because the bacon and smoky tastes overwhelm the chocolate entirely, a serious bacon addict might enjoy it. So if you are looking to get a Valentine’s gift for a chocolate lover who also happens to be a bacon lover, this might be just the thing.

If you can order it in time. Seriously, go buy your chocolate. Time is running out.

Have you had bacon and chocolate together? What did you think of the combination?

18 comments:

  1. I've tried chocolate and bacon together once and actually enjoyed the salt sweet crunchy combo. It was chocolate covered bacon pieces that were some gourmet store that my sister purchased. That was back when I ate bacon..... which is what made me start eating meat again the first time I gave it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had chocolate and bacon together at parties before; typically it was dark chocolate someone had simply melted down and dipped bacon into. I recall it being surprisingly tasty, and I'm disappointed this bar didn't live up to your (and vicariously, my) expectations. Did they have a chocolate/bacon combination that included darker chocolate rather than milk chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin If you like crunchy-sweet-salty, check out the Vosges Barcelona bar. It has nuts and salt. Yum! I'm on a chocolate+salt bender these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mary at n00bcakes They do have a dark chocolate bar, which I still need to try. I'm hopeful that it's better, but I really did not like the texture of the bits of bacon. Maybe it stays crispier in dark chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacon and chocolate? I don't know what to say! In Russia, it's an ongoing joke that Ukrainians eat bacon covered in chocolate, but I don't think they really do. I can't even imagine eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, forget my comment on your previous post - I forgot that I had this once, but split it with a friend and paid half. :) My thoughts on this: meh. It didn't seem bacony enough, but now it's all a moot point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Alina I dunno, maybe that's where Vosges got the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jessica @ bake me away! I will say this much: it's probably one of my least favorite Vosges bars. Just not to my taste. Any of the toffee bars, though...those are golden. And worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bacon hot chocolate!?! Oh myyy god! I am so getting this for my dad; he would LOVE it! i can't wait for Valentines day...my daddy gets us godiva chocolate heart boxes each year-score!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved bacon and chocolate but seriously everyone judged me! AH! I should have known the blogging world would understand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just wanted to say that i saw ur comment on The Healthy Apron's post about "Is it healthy?" and i have to totally agree that i question Larabars too. just like you, ive watched the craze hit the blogging world but ive always questioned them. i mean i know when i eat them i get so hungry cuz of the sugar rush...and i never really trusted if they were THAT good for us or not.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. A friend of mine once made bacon cookies...it had chocolate chips and bacon pieces in it..actually surprisingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've actually had this three times in recent years, and each time I've had a different opinion. The first, I thought it was great because I liked the non-meaty smokiness, but then second time I thoight it was too meaty, the last time a bit bland... weird! Maybe the bacon bits change a bit somehow??

    ReplyDelete
  14. @lolzthatswim We will never judge you. Especially not for anything you eat with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Kelsey Awesome. Glad I'm not the only one. Also...they don't even taste that good to me and are really calorie heavy. I'd (obviously) rather eat dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Beaglebea If she cooked the bacon properly, I bet they were great - I had serious texture problems with the bacon in this bar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Hannah Yeah, maybe they switch bacon suppliers?

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Victoria (The District Chocoholic)

    Nah, Vosges got the idea from Mo at Zingerman's Delhi in Ann Arbor. Mo and I know some folks in common but I never had the heart to tell him the bacon bar was more hype than substance.

    ReplyDelete