Sunday, October 3, 2010

Vosges Bars: Peanut Butter Bonbon

In addition to the caramel toffee, the Vosges boutique’s generous samples also convinced me to purchase the peanut butter bonbon bar. I didn’t need much convincing, since peanut butter and chocolate go pretty well together, but the fact that the dish was sitting there drew my eyes to the display, and to the bar that is sadly not carried in DC stores, to the best of my knowledge.

The bar base is a rich milk chocolate, and the peanut butter is visibly well-blended in an interior layer, not like in a Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup (yuck) where it all falls apart.

When you bite in, your teeth pass right through the chocolate and into that thin peanut butter layer, which is so smooth and well-integrated that I wonder if there is a little chocolate or cocoa butter mixed in to make it just a little smoother. If that is not the case, Vosges obviously happened upon the smoothest, richest, peanut butter known to mankind and used it in this bar.

The peanut flavor is enhanced by the two kinds of sea salt on the underside of the bar, which hits the tongue nicely. Though I don’t know enough about sea salt to distinguish between the two types, I do know that there is salt coming from sources other than the peanut butter interior. All of this comes together with exceptionally smooth milk chocolate that is creamy but not too sweet. Since the peanut butter layer is thin and the salt is well-distributed, the milk chocolate is the primary attraction here, which is fine by me. The result is a super-smooth, sweet and salty chocolate creation that I would buy again, and again, and again…if only Vosges had a shop in DC (y’all hear that back in Chicago?).

0 comments:

Post a Comment