Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Madre Chocolate: Hawaiian Dark Chocolate

If you follow me on twitter, you have been seeing my incessant chatter about my trip to Hawaii this summer. I’m finally here, and am happy to report, for those of you back in the oppressive humidity and incessant traffic and smog on the east coast, that it is beautiful here.

Aren’t I just the best?

Besides the perfect weather and incredible scenery, I was excited for this trip because of the numerous chocolatiers that call Hawaii home. To add to that excitement, I was fortunate to receive some sample bars from Oahu-based bean-to-bar Madre Chocolate to evaluate. I started, appropriately, with the Hawaiian Dark Chocolate bar, which was a 70% cocoa bar.

As the only state in the United States that grows cocoa, Hawaii offers chocolatiers the unique opportunity to use beans sourced near their own operations; the beans for this particular bar are from the Hamaka coast of the Big Island. The intricate design of the bar evokes even more thoughts of Hawaii, and is a creative approach to molding this most unique chocolate.

The aroma of this bar was fruity, and the melt was smooth and just a bit creamy, though not notably so.

The taste is refreshingly cool and minty at first, with a hint of banana throughout and a bit of coffee and smokiness at the end. Though offering a wide variety of flavors to create a complex bar, it is not bitter, and this bar would be a good introduction to bittersweet chocolate for those who prefer sweeter approaches to chocolate.

It’s also a great introduction to Hawaii. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go enjoy the temperatures in the low 80s and the nonstop sunshine.

Have you had chocolate from Hawaii before?

12 comments:

  1. not fair. Sounds delicious, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy YUMMERS. you are bringing some back for us, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I think that a trip to Hawaii is necessary for my well being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very very excited to see this! I am going to be fortunate enough to go to Hawaii this fall (for the first time!!), and my first and foremost thought has been the chocolate I'll be able to get my paws on while there. Oh and those beaches, and ocean and stuff, they're there too...

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! Sounds amazing, both the chocolate and the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This bar looks great! A unique take on the bar shape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh Oooh OOOH, if I tell them my dad is from Hawaii and I spent ALL of my childhood summers there, would they give ME some chocolate? :)

    Hawaii is the best. and so is their cocoa.

    have a fabulous time! hug a palm tree for me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had chocolate from Hawaii, but I definitely wouldn't pass it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So jealous. Although I did live in Hawaii for 10 years and get to eat plenty of chocolate in that time, so I'll let this slide. Have so much fun!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you! I have, indeed, been silently seething at your talk of Hawaii as I sit here in freezing Canberra ;) I love that moulding, so creative! Also, I have had a bit of Hawaiian chocolate, but I reckon you'll probably end up blogging it so I'll wait and see before commenting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. No! I am so jealous...Hawaii is on my list :) Sounds fabulous. Enjoy the 80's, because DC is creeping up to 100 and humid!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No I have not had any chocolate from Hawaii and I'm extremely jealous of your vacation and now your chocolate too. Um VA is terribly hot but I'm sure ya just read that afrom Rachel. :)

    ReplyDelete