Sunday, July 17, 2011

Madre Chocolate: Chipotle Allspice

Oh yes, another beautiful day here in Hawaii. And another beautiful bar from Madre Chocolate to review. This time, it’s a spicy number. A Chipotle Allspice bar made with 70% cocoa Dominican chocolate.

With the signature Madre Chocolate molding, this bar offers intense chipotle and xocoxochitl, or allspice in the Aztec language of Nahuatl. It also offers a spicy aroma accented with cinnamon and a hint of ginger, along with a bit of a floral note.

The very firm chocolate has a slow, buttery melt, with a cinnamon note emerging early on and the heat from the chipotle building later. Finally, a bit of citrus flavor comes forth from the chocolate, with some coffee flavor accompanying the lasting chipotle flavor. The bar is quite spicy, though the allspice, which obviously adds complexity, cuts back on this until the very end when the chipotle flavor stands alone. The heat is a bit intense at the end for my personal liking, but I do enjoy the addition of the allspice to make this bar more than a mix of cocoa butter and pepper.

How long do you think the heat from a spicy chocolate bar should linger?


5 comments:

  1. I think I still want the amaranth one the most, as it's most unlike anything I can get here. i do like allspice though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this looks amazing.

    And yes, Java Green is a total favorite of mine - Teaism is more of a former total favorite and now just a favorite. It has lots of gluten free options, a fair number of vegan options, but precious few that are both - sad. I still love the setting of each location, but I can order 3 things there at the most, which knocked it down a notch from top favorite. I work near Java Green, and am so glad I can use most things there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it should linger for quite a long itme, but i also like it when the heat builds with the melt. I love the design of these bars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally, a bit of familiar territory, flavor-wise. I'm always interested in trying a spiced bar, to compare the duration and intensity of spice, as well as how the bars retain their chocolatey essence. I can't say I have a desired length of heat though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love this bar. I've not written the proper review up yet as I'm still in the research phase, but I just love it. With many chili bars it just gets overpowered by the heat, but with one you can actually taste the chocolate.

    I'm going to have to see if you've tried any others!

    ReplyDelete