Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Christopher Elbow No17: Dark Chocolate with Salt and Macadamia Nuts

The folks working with Christopher Elbow are clearly prepared to indulge those of us who want to use chocolate to relive recent trips to Hawaii. Not only do they make a nice coconut bar, but their No17 bar offers roasted macadamia nuts and Hawaiian red sea salt in a 63% cocoa dark chocolate base.

It’s like they have me pegged. My salt and chocolate obsession is no secret, and macadamia nuts…particularly well-roasted macadamia nuts with a soft texture. Just like those in this bar.

The nuts aren’t quite as well chopped as I normally prefer – I generally dislike bars with mix-ins so large that the bites aren’t uniform – but because the nuts are soft, the bar was nicely blended. Unsurprisingly, with this ratio of nuts to chocolate, the bar had a nutty aroma.

It was apparent immediately that some of the fat from the macadamia nuts resulted in a softer chocolate, and it was also immediately apparent that the salt was well-distributed and concentrated enough to cut through any bitterness of the chocolate. The salt, in fact, was perhaps a bit overwhelming, to the point that the experience was similar to eating a blend of pure cocoa butter and salt.

Which, frankly, sounds kind of delicious. But it’s not chocolate, and I’d like to see more evident chocolate flavor in this bar to declare it to be a top-notch salt and chocolate bar.

Would you eat pure cocoa butter and salt blended together? Or am I the only one?

8 comments:

  1. Comecomecome to Australia! Macadamia nuts are native to us; we'll take care of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat about a cup of butter, sugar and cocoa powder every time i make cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally eat that. I ussually eat that amount anyway when I make cookies, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'd probably eat it ;) although the coconut sounds like it might get picked first...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing what a little sea salt can do to a chocolate bar. It takes the flavor to a whole new level of deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds about as extreme as the eXtreme ice cream I ate last night! The bar looks much more refined than the ice cream container, though, so I bet such buttery saltiness was a wee bit of a shocker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bar looks great...all my fav things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is only recently that I have added just a bit of sea salt to baked goods and chocolate... I have been loving the difference it is making

    ReplyDelete