Friday, September 2, 2011

Michel Cluizel: Los Ancones 67% Cacao (Single Origin)

It’s day 6 of “Bad Chocolate Week.”

I’m done. I can’t talk about crap anymore. So bad chocolate week concluded yesterday.

Deal.

To help you deal, I’ll discuss the Michel Cluizel Los Ancones 67% cacao single origin bar, which is definitely NOT bad chocolate.

All of the cacao is sourced from a plantation northeast of Santo Domingo which has been in operation since 1903. The beautifully molded bar, bearing the Cluizel name in lovely print, has a pleasant smoky and fruity aroma.

The taste begins with a refreshing minty note, and then moves along to a sweet smokiness, similar to what you might expect from a roasted or caramelized banana. At the very end, cherry and citrus flavors come forward; the smooth melt throughout makes is possible to enjoy this series and blend of flavors. This perfectly smooth, not remotely dry texture and just a hint of sweetness make for a complex but mild bar.

A bar most needed after talking about all that dreadful chocolate.

Have you have chocolate made with beans from a single plantation before?

4 comments:

  1. thank GOD bad chocolate week is over, i was having nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of these Cluizel single plantation bars! I've occasionally found them in other cities in Australia, but often over $20 a pop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes @ $20 Aussie bars.

    I got a bit nervous when I saw the label, as it looked suspiciously like "los anacondas" to me. If you were eating snake chocolate, I'd have to run the other way, and fast!

    ReplyDelete