Friday, May 6, 2011

Dilettante: The Leftovers

Though I experienced variable quality from the bag of Dilettante truffle creams that I grabbed in the face of an impending redeye back from Seattle, I decided to finish out the last two varieties from the bag to complete this review series. Including a plain dark chocolate truffle cream.

This piece is simple: dark chocolate outside, dark chocolate inside.

The shell and interior are nearly the same density, which results in a pleasing texture blend that highlights the creamy interior.

That creamy interior features a strong chocolate flavor, which has pronounced caramel notes. Even though this piece was simple, it was one of the better choices from the selection.

I was left with a toffee crunch truffle cream.

I eyed it suspiciously. Would it be balanced in flavor, like the mocha? Or a sugar bomb like the peanut butter? The very sweet aroma made me uneasy, but I peered inside despite this.

Inside, there were tiny bits of super-sticky toffee that are probably still stuck to my teeth.

The chocolate has a nice, soft melt, but the sticky bits of toffee ruin every moment in it. Taste? I suppose there’s some vanilla from the toffee. I was too distracted by the gross little sticky bits throughout the chocolate to notice.

I should have just passed on this one. And should I ever purchase Dilettante again, I'll go for the mocha and plain dark truffle creams while passing on just about everything else.

What’s the stickiest thing you’ve ever eaten?

5 comments:

  1. Oh ugh. This isn't the quality I was looking for!

    Hmm stickiest thing... I used to let Jolly Ranchers melt in my mouth to the point where they would mould into a shape between my teeth. They would get stuck there and I wouldn't be able to open my jaw until they melted away completely. I'm sure there were stickier moments, maybe not stuckier though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melting peanut brittle, I think! :D SO worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love toffee, so I think I'd probably be cool with the stickiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. salt water toffee. My parents don't allow me (as a 20 year old) to eat it in the car because I make a mess. Every.Single.Time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though I'm sure they weren't the stickiest thing I've ever had, Milk Duds were responsible for the loss of some of my baby teeth. Fact: one of these instances occurred while watching OJ speed down the highway in his white Bronco. Good times.

    ReplyDelete