Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"Sugar Free" Chocolate Options: Simply Lite Milk Chocolate

While I’m not personally on a reduced-sugar diet these days, I did have to greatly curtail my sugar intake for about six months at one point due to some dental problems.

It was a bad six months. It was almost four years ago, and I’m still in recovery from that unhappiness.

But I’m not bitter. I just wish somebody could have told me which sugar free chocolates were any good. So in case you are in the boat that I used to be in, I bring you part 2 of the sugar free chocolate review series: the Simply Lite Milk Chocolate Bar, featuring 36% cocoa solids.***

This bar has 120 calories and 9 grams of fat in a 25 gram serving; for reference, most milk chocolates have about 550-580 calories in 100 grams, so this bar will save you a whopping 15-20 calories in a 25 gram serving. However, if your goal is to improve your dental health, this could still possibly help, since the maltitol won’t attack your teeth as badly.

Although the “sugar free” aspect seems to not be a problem, as the bar is fairly sweet, the texture is grainy and there is a fake powdered milk taste that dominates the bar. The chocolate taste is minimal, and given the miniscule calorie savings, I’d bypass this bar, and for those who truly need to avoid sugar, I’d suggest sticking with the Simply Lite Dark bar, which is really not distinguishable from most mid-range dark chocolates.

Have you ever had dental issues that caused you to cut out sugar?

***NOTE: I am not a doctor or a nutritionist. If you are unsure of whether or not this product is appropriate for you, please consult with a medical professional.

11 comments:

  1. Fortunately not. I am pretty lucky here. I have heard people complaining about bad or lasting toothaches - I haven't even experienced that.

    This bar doesn't sound like something I would enjoy... however, I like the look of the wrapper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had dental issues.....but too much sugar gives me headaches, so I might be getting this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've heard about this chocolate but never had the chance to try it out. thanks for sharing this post.. and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't grow up drinking a lot of soda or eating a lot of sweets, so I've managed to dodge the cavity issue for the most part (pre-teen braces aside). It's good to know for future reference, though, for that dreaded day when the cavities may hit me. ^_^ Plus, dark chocolate is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got incredibly weak, stupid teeth so dentists and I have always been great friends. Have never been told to fully cut out sugar, though, thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ana Yes, it was definitely a bit grainy. I'd recommend the dark version of this bar instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @fitchocoholic Maybe the headaches will stop you from developing cavities from too much sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @blackbookkitchendiaries You're very welcome. And again, I suggest the dark over the milk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mary at n00bcakesDefinitely go for the dark version of this bar. The milk is not nearly as good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Hannah Oh Hannah, just one more thing we have in common. My teeth rot so easily...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chocolate lovers need to cut down on it because it's better to take care of their teeth. Their dentists told them that eating chocolates is perfectly fine, just brush the teeth afterwards, they said. And, of course, don't forget to visit the dentists regularly.

    ReplyDelete