Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Shakolad: Gift from Santa and Dark Mint Truffle

So Christmas was a while ago, wasn’t it? Everybody detoxed yet? Not me. You see, Santa knows me well and brought me a bit of chocolate.

This box, from Schakolad, was packed with 12 chocolates. I’ll try to make this sound more reasonable by pointing out that they were pretty small.

The first chocolate I had to try was one of the mint variety, since the mint aroma was apparent the moment I opened the box. I elected to start with the dark chocolate version of the mint truffle.

The dark chocolate, which has both earthy and coffee notes, has a strong flavor and crumbles just a bit against the interior, though it is soft enough to not create a complete mess with each bite.

The interior white-chocolate-based ganache is firm and features a blend of spearmint and peppermint flavors. The flavor is refreshing, and the ganache is quite sweet, which matches well with the bittersweet exterior. Though I don’t like the flaking, I do enjoy the contrast in flavors between the couverture and the ganache. This is a truffle I’d enjoy trying again.

Do you prefer spearmint or peppermint flavors with chocolate?

12 comments:

  1. Teehee, I'm glad you've posted this, as I still have some Christmas posts to go myself! Wowzers, that's one green truffle. I don't think I've ever had spearmint with chocolate, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I don't know that I've had a spearmint flavoured chocolate! Those look delightful though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neither. I don't like mint.

    But the box is beautiful, and so are the chocolates...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love them both! they are such a perfect pair:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peppermint and chocolate has to be one of my all time favorite combos!!! so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fancy! Chocolate/mint is my roommate's fav combo, so she decided to get some mint extract for hot chocolate. She accidentally got spearmint instead of peppermint and it was the most vile-tasting hot chocolate ever. Think chocolate mouthwash...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hannah It is quite bright, isn't it? Definitely not free of artificial colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Corrine Spearmint tastes more like mint leaves - kind of a spicier taste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ana Don't worry, there were non-mint chocolates in the box that I'll be writing about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @blackbookkitchendiaries Perfectly blended, they are a great pair indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @fitchocoholic You must have been in heaven during Christmastime - all the peppermint bark that was around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jessica @ bake me away! Oh ouch...extracts can be tricky, especially if you overdose.

    ReplyDelete