Sunday, January 23, 2011

Carob Weekend: Whacked-Out Brunsli for Heather

Having noted that carob is likely best reserved for baked goods, I was left to ponder what to make with it. Since my exploration into carob was inspired by Heather of Heather Eats Almond Butter, what could possibly be better than something almond based? Something like carob brunsli, which I based on a recipe I’d gotten from Saveur last month.

Carob Brunsli Ingredients (as loosely inspired by Saveur)

8 ounces almonds, blanched

6 ounces carob chips

½ cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup honey

1 egg white

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

Finely grind almonds and sugar in a food processor.

Now to get way far away from Swiss tradition – pull out your carob.

Process until smooth.

So far so good.

In addition to substituting carob for chocolate, I substituted honey for some of the granulated sugar. Because…I did.

Add the egg white, honey, cinnamon, and salt, and process until uniformly mixed.

Drop the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, in rounds about 1 ½ inches in diameter.

Allow the dough to dry for 3-4 hours, then bake at 300° F for 18-21 minutes, when they should be slightly puffed and still soft.

These are definitely different from the brunsli I made before – though I think the honey is largely the factor there. They were a little crisper and flatter than the traditional version, but still fairly tasty.

Have you baked with carob before? How did it turn out?

12 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow wow wow. Clearly I'm going to completely contradict the point of this recipe and bookmark it with the intention of making a dark chocolate version, but you don't mind, do you? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! I've never used carob before, but this is a really great idea! =D Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if carob is frowned upon in Switzerland. ;)

    Looks so good Victoria - I can't wait. Thank you soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit to have been also subjected to carob as a child and also remembering it as something to be feared as it was awful and not ata ll a chocolate substitute. It is amazing that it has come so far but it has been a really long time (for me).

    I'll have to try some in baking in the future... though am still haunted by memories

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not baked with carob before. Instead, I usually just use the nibs sprinkles on top of things like oatmeal or yogurt. I prefer dark chocolate for baking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never baked with carob before, but this is an inspiring post! I've been wanting to try before, and now have a great recipe to do so. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) I hear they were well received in TN - just not sure what the Swiss would think of what I did to their recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mostly About Chocolate Blog I know, I was a little scared, too, based on long ago experiences. But I think if you get high-quality carob, it's alright. And of course, use it in a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mimi Dark chocolate is definitely still my first choice, but I think I may mix things up with carob once in a while for that uniquely fruity flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @baking.serendipity I would suggest maybe decreasing the honey a little -these were a tad crisp for my tastes. But go ahead and play around with the recipe; let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you through HEAB! Looks good - I've never even heard of a Brunsli before -why is it called that?

    Also - I've tried carob chips but never the powder. Could the powder work as "hot chocolate?" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @bakingnbooks Welcome! I actually have no idea about the name. They're Swiss, so maybe it means something in Switzerland.

    If you want to substitute powder, you should probably add some fat - maybe some coconut butter?

    ReplyDelete