Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Vosges Bars: Gingerbread Toffee

In case it wasn’t obvious based on my reviews of the Hotel Chocolate Gingerbread Puddles and the Divine Milk Chocolate with Spiced Cookies, I love the combination of gingerbread-flavors and chocolate. Sweet and spicy, smooth and possibly crunchy – all good things coming together. So when Vosges released their list of limited-edition holiday bars, I was very excited to see the Gingerbread Toffee Bar among the offerings.

Now imagine just how happy I was when I saw that my local Whole Foods had these in stock.

And on sale.

Merry Christmas indeed.

After purchasing and quickly unwrapping a bar, I was greeted by 65% cocoa chocolate that is perfectly smooth and not at all dry.

There were also bits of intensely flavored gingerbread toffee inside. The toffee bits were, in fact, so intensely flavored that it overpowered the chocolate. While I normally like balance, I was fully willing to let the strong ginger and hint of salt take the show away from the chocolate flavor for a few moments. The toffee was also just the perfect texture – a Vosges signature – as it crunches nicely but melts quickly and doesn’t stick to your teeth. While I wasn’t able to pick up any subtle flavor notes from the chocolate, the sheer intensity of the gingerbread toffee was enough for me.

The only thing I don’t like about this chocolate? The “limited edition label.”

I may or may not have almost a dozen of these socked away in my chocolate cabinet.

Did you just blink when you read the phrase "my chocolate cabinet"? You should get your own.

Are there any limited-edition holiday chocolates that you will be sad to see off the shelves in a week or so?

14 comments:

  1. Chocolate cabinet? I so need one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow gingerbread toffee chocolate sounds unbelievable! And I love the idea of a chocolate cabinet. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - must get chocolate cabinet stat!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @fitchocoholic It makes your life better. And there is no better item to have on your to-do list on a weekend than "organize chocolate cabinet"

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin One really cool thing about the chocolate cabinet is that you can totally confine your treats and steer away from it when trying to make healthier choices. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lisa (bakebikeblog) Will it be right next to your spice drawer? The one that I'm TOTALLY JEALOUS OF?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peppermint bark. I wish it would never leave my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @lolzthatswim Yeah seriously - I actually haven't had any yet this year. You could stockpile candy canes and make your own. In July.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have multiple chocolate bags/shelves/drawers. We really could be the same person ;)

    I have to ignore the rest of this post, though. I trie all the Vosges bars during my time in the States, and only recently discovered all these new ones. It hurts so badly I can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gingerbread toffee, awesome. Gingerbread toffee on sale, BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Hannah Hannah, I did a half hour of chocolate reviewing today and thought "I should email Hannah the incomprehensible drivel that I just typed up. Because she would understand."

    If it makes you feel better, most of the stores are out of this bar by now. So we're SOL too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @onebrewhouse Since there is a Vosges store in Vegas, maybe you can clean up at a post-Christmas sale :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd not only understand, I'd translat eand then applaud you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Hannah I feel like if we ever got together, Hannah, we could just communicate telepathically. At least about chocolate.

    ReplyDelete