Thursday, December 30, 2010

Vosges Bars: Bapchi's Caramel Toffee

When I spied the Vosges Gingerbread Toffee Bars on sale at the Whole Foods in Tenleytown earlier this month, naturally, I inspected the shelf for other bars that were on sale, and quickly scooped up several, including a Bapchi's Caramel Toffee Bar.

As noted on the packaging, Vosges founder and CEO Katrina Markoff named this bar after her grandmother “Bapchi,” who taught her how to cook.


Inside the packaging is a bar based on a 45% cacao deep milk chocolate, which is created by mixing a touch of dark chocolate in with Vosges signature milk chocolate. Taste-wise, this chocolate is blended nearly 50-50 with the other contents of the bar.



Those other contents include sweet butter toffee, walnuts, and pecans, which are finely chopped and evenly sprinkled throughout the bar.


In addition to being well-chopped and evenly distributed to result in a more uniform and pleasing tasting experience, the added ingredients have an outstanding texture, both individually and in contrast to the smooth milk chocolate. The nuts are well toasted and not remotely soggy, and the toffee is crunchy but not tough or brittle. The toffee bits also feature a distinct salt taste and a subtle butter taste, which stand up well to the deep milk chocolate. In this bar, Vosges has done an outstanding job of mixing the salty toffee with a not-too-sweet milk chocolate. I enjoyed this bar quite a bit, and managed to catch a few extra from the shelves of the Tenleytown Whole Foods before the holiday supplies began to dwindle.

Do you like toffee? With or without chocolate?

14 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic!! I like toffee, but really only with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chocolate bar sounds amazing!! I love toffee with or without chocolate. I can eat it any way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove toffee....that chocolate bar sounds so amazing! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE toffee - I love it every which way - chocolate, chocolate & nuts, no chocolate. I'm a toffee person. Now, this makes me want to make toffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love toffee when it's not burnt! :P I was going to say that this bar would be perfect for my sister until I got to the part about the pecans. She hates 'em! I'd be into this, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurrah! Hopefully my brother finds this one :) Oh gosh, I'm going to be so disappointed if he doesn't have time to look for these for me... :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toffee with chocolate, please! Haven't tried this bar yet, I'll be on the lookout for it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anna S. I'm with you on the chocolate+toffee combo - toffee on its own is just a bit sweet and tough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Debbie B. You are like my grandmother - she adores toffee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @fitchocoholic It really is! I can't decide if I like this or the Vosges gingerbread toffee bar better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @oliepantsWoah, make toffee. That's serious business. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jessica @ bake me away! She might like the Vosges gingerbread toffee, then. And yeah, unburned toffee is probably better. Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Hannah Fingers crossed, Hannah. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic Once again, I'm 100% with you, Bianca! Hope you can find one of these gems.

    ReplyDelete