Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hotel Chocolat: Gingerbread Puddles

In the midst of all the holiday baking going on, both in blog world and in my own kitchen, it’s hard to not be drawn to seasonal chocolate treats. Luckily, I had one very seasonal find from my trip to Hotel Chocolat in Boston: a bag of gingerbread “puddles.”

Hotel Chocolat refers to these milk chocolate-hazelnut paste based treats as puddles; they are certainly puddle shaped and nice and thin, and are just the perfect size and shape for slowly melting on your tongue.

It’s a good thing these are shaped to slowly melt on your tongue, because if you can get your hands on a bag of these, you’ll want to draw as much of the flavor from these as you can. Though the hazelnut paste is mostly evident from the super-soft texture and is not very apparent in the taste, molasses, ginger and nutmeg flavors jump out to create an immediate impression of gingerbread. A bit of a cinnamon aftertaste enhances this experience, and a hint of cream from the milk chocolate makes it even more enjoyable. Though the chocolate flavor is in the background in these treats, the cocoa butter is clearly top-notch, given the very smooth texture and top-notch melt.

The only disappointing thing about these gingerbread puddles is that they are seasonal and are unlikely to be at the Hotel Chocolat shop by the next time I get up to Boston. However, since they are seasonal, these would make a nice little stocking stuffer for a serious chocolate and gingerbread lover – the bag is even perfectly shaped to pop right out of the top of the stocking.

Not that I’m hinting anything to family members who may or may not read this blog.

Have you had a chance to try anything from Hotel Chocolat? What did you get?

12 comments:

  1. These sound AMAZING. I don't know if I'll ever forgive myself for not buying any Hotel Chocolat for myself, only for gifts, when I was in London earlier this year! Stupid, stupid Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful!!!!!!!!! Never been to Hotel Chocolat, but if I ever go to Boston, or anywhere else with one, I definitely am visiting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried anything from Hotel Chocolat but they sound amazing! Maybe I'll get my friend in Boston to get me something :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love milk chocolate and hazelnut anything but unfortunately I don't like gingerbread. But I am pretty much obsessed with Hotel Chocolate. They have these little tiddly pots/chocolate buttons that are perfect for munching while shopping - or while doing anything else or nothing else haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, since I live in Boston... I'm know where I must make a trip to - asap!!
    My only problem is that I'm sure I won't be able to have just 2 at a time. Chocolates are dangerous in my household when I get my hands on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Hannah Ohs nos, Hannah! You didn't get any for yourself? Did you get to sample any in the store?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @fitchocoholic You should DEFINITELY visit their shop in Boston - so far the only city in the U.S./Canada/Mexico with a shop. When you walk in, they hand you samples immediately! How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Emily @ For Sweets Sake The only difficulty with that would be making sure your friend didn't eat it herself/himself :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic Oh, man, I totally know what you mean about the button chocolates. They're so little, you can surely eat 20 and it's ok...right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Elina (Healthy and Sane) Elina I'm jealous! I miss Boston, and of course, now you have HC there. I like getting really expensive chocolate because then I (usually) eat it a bit more slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooo interesting! I know a lot of people in my family would like these!

    ReplyDelete