Monday, June 27, 2011

Daring Bakers June 2011 Challenge: Chocolate-Orange-Hazelnut Baklava

3…2…1…DARING BAKERS TIME!!!

This month, we got to make baklava.

Oh, and we had to make our own phyllo dough to avoid the wrath of the Daring Bakers police. It’s because Erica of Erica’s Edibles was our host for the Daring Baker’s June challenge. Erica challenged us to be truly DARING by making homemade phyllo dough and then to use that homemade dough to make Baklava.

Of course, I made it with chocolate. And other not-so-normal baklava ingredients, like orange zest and hazelnuts.

Really, I shouldn’t say “I” because really, Beth did almost all the work after we dragged ourselves through a 5000 meter swim workout.

But I swear, I did the beginning of the phyllo dough by myself. Incorporating chocolate in the dough itself as well.

Chocolate Phyllo Dough

1 cup flour

1/3 cup cocoa powder (Scharffen Berger)

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup water

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2 teaspoon vinegar

In the bowl of your stand mixer combine flour, cocoa butter, and salt. Mix with paddle attachment. Combine water, oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Add water & oil mixture with mixer on low speed, mix until you get a soft dough. Change to the dough hook and let knead approximately 10 minutes. Remove the dough from mixer and continue to knead for two more minutes. Shape the dough into a ball and lightly cover with oil.Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let it rest two hours.

Once you have this beautiful dough, roll it out nice and thin (or invite Beth over and have her do it). Cover with a wet paper towel to prevent drying.

Now onto the filling, which I had a blast throwing together.

Chocolate-Orange-Hazelnut Baklava

One batch of chocolate phyllo dough

5 tablespoons butter, melted

1 cup toasted hazelnuts

Zest of two oranges

2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (Scharffen Berger 70%)

Juice from one orange

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup water

Mix together orange zest, hazelnuts, and chocolate. Take an 8”x4” loaf pan, line with phyllo dough. Brush with butter. Put down another layer. Brush with butter again. One more layer of phyllo(!). More butter. Spread half of the zest-hazelnut-chocolate mixture on top.

Repeat the process.

Slice baklava diagonally and horizontally.

Prepare syrup by mixing juice, water, and sugar over medium heat until it boils; pour over baklava.

Bake at 350° F for 25-30 minutes, until top is crispy.

Enjoy the buttery, chocolaty goodness. It may not be traditional baklava, but it IS delicious.

Have you ever made baklava with non-traditional ingredients?

16 comments:

  1. I'm so in awe by the dough that I'm willing to accept the orange with a sigh. Go Victoria and Beth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmm. I did not do all the work. I just rolled and layered. And sampled :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing - my favourite flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this looks simply incredible... Love the flavors you used! I'm now feeling even more inspired to make my own phyllo and baklava. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! i've never even made baklava.....my dad loves it, so I might be trying this out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH.MY.GOD. OHMYGOD. OHMYGOD. This is my favorite post you have ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made ye olde baklava. I'm sure I've had it before?

    I'm also sure I'd like to eat this whole pan up. Nom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of chocolate phyllo and orange zest! Great job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate phyllo dough?! You are a genius! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic cho-clava! Very creative twist on the original.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this creative spin on the recipe! I bet people would go crazy over it during holiday parties when the chocolate and orange combo is super popular for some reason. I would have been so nervous to make my own baklava, let alone my own phyllo! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yay another daring bakers challenge! I really need to get back into it, ill log on and see what next months challenge is in july and see if it tempts me hehe! Ive never made baklava before but i bet the chocolate orange nuttiness of it was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um yum! Mine was pretty standard, albeit vegan. How was Biagio last weekend? I couldn't go...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too cool! I like the flavor combination and am impressed that you kicked it up a notch. I was alas too intimidated, and merely followed the recipe. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally thought you'd throw chocolate chunks into your baklava, but chocolate phyllo dough didn't cross my mind. Brilliant! Also, I approve of the enlisting of friends to help with this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete