Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Oh! Caramels: Classic Milk and Dark Caramels

While underwhelmed by the chocolate-covered chocolate caramel by Oh! Chocolate that I described in yesterday’s post, I retained hope that others in the box may be better. Perhaps a traditional caramel would come across better. A traditional caramel such as the classic caramel covered in milk chocolate.

The milk chocolate shell is actually quite flavorful, with a hint of earthiness accompanying a pleasing creamy flavor and texture.

Sadly, the caramel inside is too sweet to appropriately contrast the sweet, creamy milk chocolate exterior, and is again too chewy. Lack of balance and a hard caramel make me an unhappy woman.

Is it possible that the dark chocolate version of this caramel is better? Possible, I suppose.

The chocolate itself has generic coffee notes, but is relatively smooth for a dark chocolate.

The caramel inside, however, is actually worse than the other caramels from this collection. It’s completely hard, dry, and offers nothing but some sugar and dental-work prying texture. It’s so bad that it’s difficult to appreciate the passable chocolate unless you pick off the chocolate and eat that alone.

Which is highly advisable.

Have you ever picked the chocolate off of something and eaten only the chocolate?

6 comments:

  1. So sorry that the caramels weren't very good.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've eaten the chocolate off and then eaten the inside, but I don't think I've ever left the inside...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have picked nuts out of chocolate before when it clearly said there were none and I got a nice little surprise...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate disappointing candies...caramels are my favorite, so I think I'm extra disappointed when they don't live up to expectations. At least the chocolate was salvage-able!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bummer. I was hoping these were better than the last, too!

    Once or twice I've been fooled into thinking some chocolate covered mini cheesecakes-things were petit fours. Not true, and I'm not a cheesecake fan. But I don't remember if I even picked the chocolate off of those. Maybe I just manned up and ate 'em anyway!

    ReplyDelete