Friday, March 2, 2012

Brownie Batter Energy Balls


Notice that I did not specifically call out biking. It’s because I am terrible at biking.

Anyhow, go visit. I even posted a yummy recipe recently: a recipe for peanut butter cookie dough energy balls, to address the age-old question of “what do I eat before I train if I have to start training before 5 am?”

Today, I’m sharing another answer to this question with you: brownie batter energy balls.



Of course, you can eat these anytime, and there’s no requirement that you go swim/bike/run after. You are, however, required to use good cocoa powder, such as Scharffen Berger.


The cocoa powder is far too prominent to use an inferior product, since the main ingredients are simple and won’t cover up acidic cocoa powder.



Dates and Cashews. Good flavor enhancers, but not enough to carry bad cocoa powder. So get out your best cocoa powder, and get to work.

Brownie Batter Energy Balls
1 pound pitted dates
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup chopped roasted cashews
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Run dates through a food processor until a paste forms, add other ingredients and run food processor until all ingredients are uniformly mixed. Form into ½ inch diameter balls, chill on a flat plate or baking sheet until solidified, then pack in an airtight container for future consumption.





Assuming you don’t eat them all at once, you know.

10 comments:

  1. I wish I wasn't so lazy and would actually try to make these. They look good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you think of a substitute for dates in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit it now - I use inferior cocoa powder. And, sort of sadly, I don't mind! If I didn't have to special order good cocoa online, maybe I'd splurge for it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic. I've been meaning to have a go at something similar. Was trying to find some cashew nut butter, but you're right, could just use whole cashews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. I love these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these things. Used a combo of walnuts and almonds the last batch and would like to try something with cashews next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kind of recipe. Just without the exercise bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, you assumed wrong. I did eat them all. I just consider myself slightly lucky that I only had 100gr of dates, so I couldn't make the entire recipe, but still... With this amount of energy, I should run a marathon or something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can come over and comiserate with me on the bike on one of Ray's 10+ trainers, and we could eat these energy bites while doing it!

    ReplyDelete